The mission of the Awakenings is to Make Visible the artistic expression of survivors of sexual violence.
Awakenings is home to a multi-media art gallery featuring the artistic expressions of rape and sexual abuse survivors. By showcasing stories of survival, we are helping survivors find peace while simultaneously challenging the cultural taboos that prevent an honest discussion of sexual violence.
We shine a light on the truth. We don’t mince words. We are up front and dead center about the prevalence of rape and sexual abuse in our culture. We are not here to make you comfortable. We are here to tell the truth and share the stories of the survivors brave enough to tell them.
If you are an artist, writer, musician, or any other type of creative truth-teller, you can submit examples of your work online for inclusion in our exhibits, our magazine, and our events.
Awakenings is home to a multi-media art gallery featuring the artistic expressions of rape and sexual abuse survivors. By showcasing stories of survival, we are helping survivors find peace while simultaneously challenging the cultural taboos that prevent an honest discussion of sexual violence
Before submitting, please read our criteria and guidelines.
- Artwork must be on the topic of sexual violence.
- Artists who identify as survivors of sexual violence are strongly encouraged to submit work.
- Artists who do not identify as survivors of sexual violence may submit work; however, we do reserve the right to decline your submission if it does not comply with our mission as a gallery dedicated to healing from sexual violence.
- We accept any medium of visual work. If you are a writer/author, please see our Literary Magazine, Awakened Voices, that has submissions open twice a year via this submission form. In 2019, we expect to have an open mic night that can include performance however, at this time we do not usually accept theatrical or performance art.
- We do our best to review and respond to submissions within 6 weeks. Please do not resubmit the same work. If you have not received a response from staff, please inquire at email@example.com.
- Artists may submit artwork from anywhere in the world; however, we will not cover shipping costs.
- We do accept work that has been deemed inappropriate by other galleries, however, this is at the discretion of Awakenings' staff.
- We ask all artists to submit at least the following three pieces of information with artowrk:
- A short artist bio
- A title for each piece.
- A statement for each piece. Our staff is happy to help artists tailor their statements. Statements can include why the piece was created, how this has been part of processing, healing, coping, or what you hope an audience will understand from the piece.
- BEFORE HITTING SEND, please consider your work for an extra moment. What would be helpful for us to know? Give us a comprehensive idea of your work. Is there a collaborator involved in your work? We will want to know that the expressed permission has been given for any models, photographers, or people involved in the making of your art.
While we wish we could exhibit all the art submissions we receive, we have limited resources and capacity and therefore must decline submissions.
If your work is not able to be exhibited with Awakenings, please continue to look for a home for your work. We believe you, and we value you. A decline is a reflection of the overwhelming need in our society to give voice and platform to survivors and to continue to heal from the trauma of sexual violence together.
Questions about the submission process or guidelines? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org